The Comprehensive Test Ban Treaty to ban nuclear explosions and finally end US testing has a number of merits. Ratification by the Senate would help contribute to preventing nuclear-armed states from perfecting newer and more deadly nuclear bombs and show America’s commitment to being a leading in stopping […]
Across Massachusetts and around the world, Senator Kennedy is being remembered for his generous service to constituents and unwavering commitment to social justice. We at Mass Peace Action are particularly grateful for Senator Kennedy’s courageous leadership for peace, human rights, and nuclear disarmament. He has long decried the recklessness of war and nuclear weapons, and was the Congressional leader of the Nuclear Freeze campaign, from which Peace Action was born. Along with our colleagues across the national Peace Action network, we deeply appreciate the support, wisdom, and collaboration extended on so many occasions by Senator Kennedy and his staff. We offer our sincere thoughts and sympathies to his family.
Thousands of you flooded Congress’ inboxes with opposition to sanctions on Iran—thank you! (If you haven’t yet, click here to write to the House, and here for the Senate). After Labor Day, Congress will come back into session and be greeted by a high-powered lobbying campaign pressuring them […]
This interview with Zbigniew Brzezinski in the late 90’s caught my attention. The Soviet invasion of Afghanistan started what has become thirty years of foreign occupation and civil war within Afghanistan; a period that has ravaged the country and delayed any civil progress toward economic development and integration […]
Progressive leaders you helped elect in 2008 have voted against funding for the war in Afghanistan, called for a quicker withdrawal from Iraq, and helped defeat wasteful F-22 fighter jets. We are having an impact. Now we must turn our attention to one the most critical districts in […]
Millions of Afghans braved a violent and unstable election environment to cast a vote for their government of choice last week. Escalating violence in the preceding weeks and disenchantment with politics as usual resulted in a lower turnout than in 2004. In particular, fewer women turned out to […]
But its manpower pool was not North Vietnam’s Achilles heel and neither is it the Taliban’s. Almost exactly the same percentage of personnel in Afghanistan has rural reconstruction as its primary mission (the Provincial Reconstruction Teams) as had “pacification” (today’s “nation-building”) as their primary mission in Vietnam, about 4 percent. The other 96 percent is engaged in chasing illiterate teenage boys with guns around the countryside, exactly what the enemy wants us to do.
According to a new Washington Post-ABC opinion poll, a majority of the Americans questioned (51%) say that the war in Afghanistan is not worth the price. All in all, this marks the first time that a majority believes that the costs exceed the benefits in the Afghan war. […]
Earlier this month, I had the opportunity to talk with Shazia Shekib (an alias), a member of the Revolutionary Association of the Women of Afghanistan. She was in the US to speak at the Veterans for Peace National Convention and share her on-the-ground perspective on the war in […]
Last week, I appeared on KPFA’s “Living Room” with Kris Welch to discuss my trip to Iran and US policy. Click below to listen as we discuss the latest developments in Iran and why we need to mobilize now to oppose sanctions. Living Room – Afghanistan; Iran; happiness. […]