For those of you in or near NYC, or planning to be there around the NPT PrepCom, please consider attending this conference on Saturday, May 3. Peace Action is a co-sponsor, and Field Director Judith Le Blanc and PANYS Executive Director Alicia Godsberg will be among the speakers.
Facing the Dangers of 21st Century Great Power War
A Conference on the Centenary of World War I
Saturday, May 3, 2014 9 a.m.-5:30 p.m.
Assembly Hall, Judson Memorial Church
229 Thompson St., Manhattan
South of Washington Square Park
9:30-11:00 Looking forward, looking backward: WWI, today’s risk of great power war, peace movements, and disarmament.
• Dr. Erhard Crome, Rosa Luxembourg Foundation.
• Zia Mian, Princeton University.
• Andrew Lichterman, Western States Legal Foundation.
11:30-12:45 Risks of Great Power War: Regional Perspectives
• Joseph Gerson, American Friends Service Committee
• M.V. Ramana, Princeton University
• Irene Gendzier, Boston University.
12:45-1:45 Lunch (See registration information below)
1:45-3:00 The Risk of Great Power War: Regional perspectives: BRICs, Sub-Imperialisms, and Post-Cold War conflicts
• Michael Klare, Hampshire College
• Emira Woods, Institute for Policy Studies
• Paul Lansu, Pax Christi Europe.
3:00-4:15 Limits of the Moral Imagination: Industrialized Warfare, Moral Thresholds, and the Forgotten History of Arms Control:
John Burroughs, Lawyers Committee on Nuclear Policy
Paul Walker, Global Green
Götz Nuneck Institute for Peace Research and Security Policy, University of Hamburg.
4:15-5:30 Disarmament Movements, Peace Movements, and What Is To Be Done.
• Reiner Braun, International Association of Lawyers Against Nuclear Arms
• Akira Kawasaki, Peace Boat
• Judith LeBlanc, Peace Action
To Register: Write to Jennifer Sherys-Rivet at JSherysr@afsc.org. For more information, call 617-661-6130. (Lunch available with pre-registration $10)
Conference conveners and Sponsors: American Friends Service Committee, Peace and Economic Security Program; International Peace Bureau; and the International Association of Lawyers Against Nuclear Arms and its U.S. affiliates, Lawyers Committee on Nuclear Policy and the Western States Legal Foundation, Rosa Luxembourg Foundation. Endorsing Organizations: Abolition 2000 Global Network to Eliminate Nuclear Weapons, Peace Action